Friday 27 September 2019

Terry Fox walk



It wasn't easy but we did the long route at the Terry Fox walk today. It was long and cold but the kids believed in themselves and did it!

Our school will be taking part in a Fall Food Drive on behalf of Leduc and District Food Bank Association to help those in need. The food items will be picked up on October 17. Students (and staff) can bring in a non-perishable food item such as canned goods, dry pasta, baking mixes, etc We will keep a box in our classroom until the food is picked up on the 17th.


In addition to the Fall Food Drive, the RBES SWAT team is pleased to announce that Socktober is near! During the month of October, we will be collecting pairs of socks to donate to a local charity. The socks are going to help families in need stay warm during the colder seasons. We will have a box for socks in our classroom too. 

Thanks to the parents who have been initializing the Sept calendar in the agenda for home reading. Please send me a quick email to let me know if you want your child taking books home from the classroom for home reading. I will prepare a home reading bag for the kids that do and give them time to choose some books. It is okay if your child wants to just read books from home. 

On Monday it is another special day at school, Orange Shirt day. We will be talking about what it is then. I did not talk about it this week as we focused on Terry Fox. If your child has an orange shirt to wear, he/she can. If not, that it totally okay!

I want to talk about something I used to do with my grade 2 students, Tasty Tuesday. Some of you might have older kids who got to do this. Each month we would make a recipe and then write a review. A different family would send in the ingredients each month. Even though it was fun, I have chosen not to continue doing it this year for a couple reasons. The main reason is due to how many different dietary needs the kids have. I am on the hunt to find another project that is equally as fun that doesn't involve food. I just thought I'd share in case any of your were wondering. 

That's all for now. I wish you all a safe and enjoyable weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Coding

Mr. Maltais was back this afternoon to do some coding with us. The kids turned their Microbits into thermometers and then went around the ...